IUAA Results Database



Long NameGlasgow
Short NameGlasgow
College Url 
Club Url 
Table of Contents:

Athletes competing per season for Glasgow

Athletes competing per season for Glasgow

Meets hosted by Glasgow
18th Mar 1950Celtic XCGarscube Estate, GlasgowView117The first Universities International Cross Country contest between Home Countries took place at Garscadden, Glasgow on 16 February, 1946, with teams of eight a side, with six to score, the format that was subsequently used. An Irish Universities team had been invited but was unable to compete. This was disappointing from a Trinity perspective as they had beaten Glasgow University in the Phoenix Park, Dublin in their first inter-university fixture since the end of World War II on 15 December 1945. The match over 5.5 miles between English and Scottish Universities was won by English Universities. The individual winner was D.W.M Haw of Leeds University. In 1947 he match was again a two-horse race at Weetwood, Leeds. Haw again took the individual title over a 7-mile road course and English Universities, the team honours by 61 pts to 75 pts. The contest in 1948 at Edinburgh saw the University of Wales joining for a triangular match with Scottish and English Universities. The individual title went to C.J. Black of Nottingham University, while English Universities again took the team title with 31 pts from Scottish Universities with 48 pts and the University of Wales with 115 pts. In 1949 the Universities International Cross Country took place at Nottingham as the same triangular contest. The first four athletes from English Universities finished together in joint 1st place - D.C. Birch (Leeds), the Universities Athletic Union (British Universities) champion, D. Calcott (Reading), R.V. Hughes (Birmingham) and E.A. Short (London). English Universities won easily with the minimum score of 21 pts from Scottish Universities (63 pts) and the University of Wales (107 pts). The 1950 contest was hosted by Glasgow University Hare and Hounds. Irish Universities sent a team for the first time, while the University of Wales did not participate. This was the first occasion that the Glasgow club had organised a cross-country event over a course at the Garscube Estate. The Lord Provost of Glasgow gave the participating teams a lunch-time reception in the City Chambers. The weather was described as very bad. R.V. Hughes of Birmingham University took the individual title from D.W.M. Haw (Leeds) and W.A. Robertson (QUB). Haw and Hughes had finished 1st and 2nd respectively in the UAU Championships in February at Sheffield. English Universities won for the 5th year in a row.
6th Jul 1938InternationalsWesterlands, GlasgowView1226Irish Universities (TCD & QUB) vs Atalanta Club (Glasgow & Edinburgh). The 1930 fixture between Atalanta and Irish Universities was to have taken place on 5th July, but this date was found unsuitable and Scottish Universities decided that they could not field a team later in the season. Atalanta's visit was postponed until June 1931. No record of a match in 1931 has been found. However, a full Ireland v Scotland International match did take place at Croke Park on 25 July, 1931. Several Irish university athletes competed - Patrick C. Moore (UCD), Theo D. Phelan (UCD), Henry R. Davies (TCD) and Dr Pat O'Callaghan (UCC). Ireland won the match 20 pts to 13 pts. The 1933 visit of Atalanta fell foul of the brewing political situation between the N.A.C.A.I., the N.I.A.A.A. and the B.A.A.B. At the twelfth hour a telegram was received from the Atalanta Club stating that their visit to Dublin had been cancelled. No specific reason was given. However, it was surmised that the Scottish team had been ordered to cancel their visit on instructions issued by or on behalf of the International Board, composed of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland, as a consequence of the dispute between the N.A.C.A.I. and the Northern Ireland Association, and possibly also in retaliation for the ban on intervarsity competition imposed on Queen's University of Belfast by the N.A.C.A.I. A further match between Scottish Universities and Irish Universities did not become possible until the rustication of the N.A.C.A.I. from the I.A.A.F. and the formation of the A.A.U.E. The Irish Universities team for the 3rd meeting with the Atalanta Club was confined to athletes from Trinity College and Queen's University. The three colleges of the N.U.I. were excluded because they remained members of the N.A.C.A.I. The match took place at Westerlands, Glasgow University's sports grounds, on a cinder track. Atalanta won the 440 yards by default when Norman De Vere (TCD) was disqualified, after winning the race by a yard, for fouling his lane while coming up the back straight. De Vere made good his mistake by winning the 880 yards and by setting up an early lead in the relay for an Irish win. No records were set and no athlete achieved win doubles. Irish Universities won nine of the twelve events and the match comfortably.
3rd Jul 1929InternationalsHampden Park, GlasgowView1231The second meeting between Irish Universities and Scottish Universities was an evening event hosted in Hampden Park, the biggest terraced stadium in the world at that time with a 130,000 capacity, extended by 1937 to 183,000, and only to be surpassed in 1950 by the Estádio do Maracană in Rio de Janeiro. A heavy shower about one hour before proceedings started possibly affected the attendance adversely, but the weather was fine during the contest. For several of the Irish track athletes this was their first experience of running on a cinder track. Dr Pat O'Callaghan and Michael Moroney made a clean sweep of the field events O'Callaghan failed by a couple of feet to throw the hammer clean off the grass onto the cinder track. The "Flying Scotsman" H.C. Maingay ran away with the half-mile in an excellent time. While the result of the contest was never in doubt by the time of the last event on the programme, the meeting closed with an epic battle in the mile relay with Patrick C Moore (IU) and Ian H. Borland (Atalanta) on the final leg fighting stride for stride down the home straight all the way to the tape, Moore winning by inches.