IUAA Results Database


College Park

NameCollege Park
AddressTrinity College Dublin, Dublin 2, Ireland
DescriptionCity-center venue
MapMap (Map of all venues)

Map of College Park

Meets held at College Park
24th to 25th Apr 1992T&FUCDView39150The Field events were held at Belfield. The track events were held in College Park. It was the last time the IUAA championships were held on a grass track by special permission of the IUAA to mark the quatercentenary of TCD.
2nd to 3rd May 1986T&FTCDView3672 
12th May 1982Colours T&FTCDView2649The 119th College Races at College Park produced the third successive win for UCD's men in the Colours Match, with a winning margin of 24 pts. Throughout the match UCD was always on top. UCD had the better of the track events, winning five to Trinity's three, but decisively took maximum points in four events against one for Trinity. Paul O'Brien of UCD took a double win in the sprints. Noel Murphy, a former UCD athlete, took the 400m and 800m for TCD, both events in match records. A further match record fell to David Lynch of UCD in the 1500m. The scores in the field events were closer, but with UCD holding the upper hand - 28pts for UCD v. 23 pts for TCD. Neither Triple Jump nor Pole Vault was held. The Women's match was also won by UCD by 19 pts. Honours were even in the six track events - TCD 33pts v. UCD 32pts. While Trinity won four of the track events, UCD scored maximum points in their two wins against one maximum for Trinity. There was a treble of wins for Margo Quinn of TCD in the 100m, 200m and 400m, the reigning Intervarsity 100m-200m champion. UCD dominated the field events, taking four out of five and three with maximum points. Trinity's only win was in the Long Jump. The field events scores were UCD 35pts v. TCD 18 pts. The UCD women rounded off their match win by taking the 4 x 100m relay. Invitation track events provided excitement for the spectators - Steve Cauldwell of St. Mary's College, London, won the 1000 yards race in 2:12.00, Kingston Mills (Civil Service) won the 3000 metres in 8:26.00, and Louise McGrillen (DCH) won the women's invitation 1500 metres in 4:34.00.
30th Apr to 1st May 1982T&FTCDView3469 
23rd May 1979Colours T&FTCDView2862The Colours Matches formed part of College Races. The outcome was a double match win for Trinity. The TCD women won well but the men's contest went right down to the last event on the programme - the 5000m. The points tally see-sawed throughout the men's contest. With four events remaining, a UCD victory seemed on the cards with the scores at UCD 66 pts v. TCD 55 pts. However, TCD clawed their way back into contention, helped by a 'No Height' by Frank Sweeney (UCD), the favourite in the High Jump, and a dropped baton in the relay by the UCD quartet. With one event remaining, the points tally stood 82 - 78 in Trinity's favour. A dramatic finale to the athletics programme was in prospect. A UCD clean sweep in the 5000m would seal the match 86 - 85 in their favour. Representing UCD, Ronan Murtagh had won the Intervarsities 10,000m and the Bronze medal in the 5000m that year and Eamonn McMahon was double Intervarsities Cross-Country Champion in 1976 and 1978 and 3000m steeplechase champion in 1979 and double Bronze medallist in the steeplechase 1976 and 1978. Representing TCD, Kingston Mills had won the Intervarsities 5000m and the Silver medal in the 3000m steeplechase, while Paul Dunne was the reigning Intervarsities Cross-Country Champion and 1500m Silver medallist. From the gun Murtagh took out the pace, but was a surprising spent force after four laps, when his team-mate McMahon raced to the front. With two laps remaining Kingston Mills stepped up the pace and stormed to the finish 7.5 seconds ahead of McMahon. Dunne took 3rd place for TCD to seal the match. In the match analysis UCD took the track events, excluding the relay, by 51 pts to 37 pts, while TCD took the field events by 47 pts to 29 pts. The only double win was that of Arthur Devine of UCD (100m and 200m). In the Women's event there was a treble of wins for Lucy Moore of UCD in 100m Hurdles, High Jump and Javelin and double wins for TCD's Siobhan Conroy (Shot Putt and Discus) and Catherine Llewellyn (400m and 800m).
17th May 1977Colours T&FTCDView2853The match took place in near-perfect conditions. Trinity's men took the Colours trophy by a margin of 19 pts, winning the track events by 48pts to UCD's 40 pts and the field events narrowly by 39pts to UCD 37pts. However, with the final two events to be decided in the match, the result could have gone either way, but maximum points in the Pole Vault and success in the Shot Putt pushed TCD to victory. It was Trinity's first back to back Colours win since the win/draw of 1961/1962. Double event wins were achieved by Declan Drislane in the 100m and 200m for TCD and by Joe Carey in the Long and Triple Jumps for UCD. One of the highlights of the match the performance of John Bolger in the 5000m in cutting some seven seconds off the match record. The Women's match turned in UCD's favour in the field events. Having held their own in the track events by 34pts to UCD 32pts, Trinity lost the five field events by 15 pts - TCD 20 pts v. UCD 35pts. UCD took maximum points in three field events and won four against Trinity's single Javelin win. Although TCD won the 4 x 100m relay, it was too little too late to save the day. Lucy Moore of UCD recorded a double in the Long and High Jumps, with a match record in the former, while Siobhan Lonergan of TCD had dual success in winning the 800m and 1500m, equalling the match record for the shorter distance.
6th to 7th May 1977T&FTCDView49134 
21st May 1975Colours T&FTCDView2760As two years previously the Colours Match formed part of College Races in "boiling sunshine". A special invitation event was sandwiched in between Colours Match events, a 1,000y race. It was won by Jim McGuinness of Belfast Achilles in 2:09.6, breaking Derek McCleane's 11-year-old national record of 2:10.3. Kevin Humphries (D.C.H.) was 2nd, John Glover (Annadale Striders) placed 3rd and Frank Murphy (Clonliffe Harriers) was 4th. The athletics showpiece of Trinity Week resulted in clear double wins for U.C.D. The individual star of the Colours matches was Maeve McCormack who won four events - 100m, 200, 400m and High Jump, setting meeting records in the 200m and 400m. A 1500m was included in the women's programme for the first time. Trinity only won one of the track and field events, the javelin throw, but did win the 4 x 100m relay. In the men's Colours Match two meeting records were set by Gerry Finnegan in the 5000m and David O'Connor in the 1500m. In the 1500m Sean McBride of UCD and Robert Wormell of TCD were also both inside the old record. Double wins were recorded by Davis Tilsley of Trinity in the 110m and 400m hurdles and by Brendan Curtin of UCD in the Shot Putt and Javelin. UCD won five of the eight track events (49pts v. 39pts) and the relay and the five of the seven field events (44pts v. 32pts). The Men's Trophy was still mysteriously missing. A Silver Plate was presented by Prof. George Dawson to replace this and duly handed over to the U.C.D. Captain.
16th May 1973Colours T&FTCDView2543In a break with tradition, the 110th College Races hosted the 13th Colours Match. It was also the first Colours Match in College Park over metric distances. The College Races were founded in 1857 - there were two meetings that year and they were not held in 1879, 1880, 1915-1919 and 1921, hence the numbering. The decision to incorporate the Colours Match was taken to make the College Races more entertaining and more of a spectacle, since teams selected to compete against Dublin University had not been able to turn out in full strength over several years because of the afternoon nature of the fixture. It was a gloriously sunny afternoon with ideal track and wind conditions. The 'Races' were attended by President Éamon de Valera, Provost Albert J. McConnell and his wife, Dr Frederick H. Boland (Chancellor of the University, former Irish Ambassador to the Court of St. James and former President of the United Nations General Assembly) and Mr John C.A. Gaskin (Chairman, Trinity Week Committee). The incorporation of the Colours Match into the "Trinity Week" celebrations brought double success for Trinity's Men and Women by substantial margins. The DUHAC men had three double winners - John Dillon in the 400m and 800m, Tim O'Connor in Shot Putt and Discus, and Michael Kennedy in the 400m hurdles and Pole Vault. Dillon's performance brought his total of wins in Colours matches to thirteen. David Tilsley set a match record in the sprint hurdles. Trinity won six of the eight track events (TCD 54 pts v UCD 34pts) and the sprint relay and held parity in the field event with UCD (TCD 32pts v UCD 34pts). The one surprise on the track was the total eclipse of Robert Walker in the 5000m to finish last. Match records were also set in the 100m, shared by Denis O'Connell (UCD) and Brian Doyle (TCD), in the 1500 m by Robert Wormell and in the 4 x 100m relay, shared by both sprint quartets. In the Women's match, double wins were recorded for TCD by Patricia Moran (100m and 200m), Janet Grainger (Long and High Jumps) and Caroline Hunter (Discus and Javelin). Trinity won seven of the nine events, three with maximum points.
5th to 6th May 1972T&FTCDView33100 
12th May 1971Colours T&FTCDView2452Trinity's men finally broke the sequence of five successive wins by UCD in the 11th Colours Match. DUHAC's charge was led by John Dillon who registered a remarkable quadruple of track wins in the 100y, 220y, 440y and 120y hurdles, and in the 100y broke the meeting record set by Victor Maniak at the first ever Colours Match ten years previously. He also did a personal best in the 120y hurdles. As the Intervarsities 440y hurdles champion and the then National record holder, Dillon passed up his favourite event to concentrate on winning these other events for the Trinity team. It was a tactical master-stroke! Finding inspiration from Dillon's performances, TCD won all the track events except the relay, albeit only one event with maximum points. John McIntyre, Trinity's Captain, took a track double in the 800y and the 1 mile and Robert Walker took Trinity's first ever win in the 3 miles at a Colours Match in College Park. UCD came roaring back in the field events, winning six of the seven disciplines, but again only one with maximum points. The final event to conclude at the meeting was the javelin, with TCD on 82 pts and UCD on 80 pts. Emmanuel Areo, Trinity's Vice-Captain, threw a personal best to win and thereby clinch the match, with Tim O'Connor taking 2nd place to close out the match with maximum points in the event. A meeting's record was set by UCD in the 4 x 110y relay and by David Booth (UCD) in the Pole Vault. Leo Galvin (UCD) achieved a double win in Shot Putt and Discus. TCD also won the women's match for the third successive year, winning all events barring the Discus, including three maximum point shut outs. Patricia Wilson achieved a double win in the 220y and 440y.
11th May 1968T&FTCDView2794 
1st Jun 1967Colours T&FTCDView2745This Colours match had been postponed from the 17th May because the track in College Park had not dried out after several days of heavy rain. The match was originally rescheduled for Monday 29th May, but had to rescheduled a second time to Thursday 1st June. The track was in perfect running condition and the weather fine. Trinity were left short of several of their regular performers because of examinations. Accordingly "there was little excitement in UCD's double victory over Dublin University in both the men's and ladies' contests". In the men's contest, UCD won all the track events. Trinity's only joys came from a double win by Richard Boelens in the Long and Triple Jumps, Chris Butterworth's 200 ft throw and Trinity's maximum points in the Javelin. UCD's double wins came in the 440y and 880y for Tony Taaffe and in the 100y and 120y hurdles for Aogán Ó Muircheartaigh. For the first time the women's match featured a complete programme of 11 intervarsity events with sprints, hurdles, half mile, jumps and throws. UCD's Shona Murphy won five events - 100y, 220y, 440y, Long Jump and High Jump, while Amy Barry completed a treble win in 80y hurdles, 880y and Javelin. UCD's women took maximum points in five of the eleven events against Trinity's two maximum points in Shot Putt and Discus by Alison White and Lucilla Daunt in both events.
19th May 1965Colours T&FTCDView1949The 5th annual Colours Match took place in College Park, Trinity College. The form book had UCD as favourites after their domination in the Intervarsities' championships in Galway eleven days prior to this head-to-head meeting. However, against the odds, Ivor Rees and Steve Austen of Trinity took 1st and 2nd, respectively, in both the 100y and 220y sprints. Iggy Ó Muircheartaigh (UCD), who placed 3rd in both sprints, had been looked to by UCD to register important points in these events, having taken the 100y, 220y and 440y treble at the Intervarsities in Galway. He had achieved the same treble at the UCD Championships in early May and in the Colours Match of 1964, and in addition was the reigning NACAI Champion at 100y, 300y and 440y. Ó Muircheartaigh was also pushed all the way to the line in the 440y by Dave Clarke of Trinity. Fortified by these successes and contrary to expectations, TCD eclipsed UCD by winning 10 of the sixteen events to level the series score at two contests each with one drawn. Tom Power (UCD) repeated his double from 1964 in the half mile (no dead-heat on this occasion) and 1 mile, and Lionel Hatt (TCD) won both the Shot Putt and Discus. All round the athletic performances were of a high standard. Five Meeting Records were broken and a further two equalled. In addition there was "an avalanche of personal bests" by athletes from both clubs. Liam Gleeson (UCD) broke his fibreglass pole during the pole vault. A replacement cost £50, a considerable sum in those days. The first ever women's match between TCD and UCD had to be curtailed to three events due to the limited availability of UCD athletes. Trinity took the limited honour.
9th May 1964T&FTCDView1328 
22nd May 1963Colours T&FTCDView1641The white-hot rivalry which had marked UCD-TCD clashes in Intervarsities' Championships pre-World War II was recaptured in the 3rd Colours Match. This rivalry was made all the more intense on this occasion because at the Intervarsities on 11 May at the Mardyke in Cork, UCD had won the J.P. O'Sullivan trophy by 97 pts to Trinity's 95 pts. This Colours Match was a closely fought affair with wins in eight of the 16 events to each College. There were never more than a few points between the sides and after eight events the scores were tied at 44 pts each. Trinity took six of the nine track events, while UCD won five of the seven field events. Five match records were set in the 1 mile, Pole Vault, Triple Jump, 440y hurdles and High Jump. Doubles were achieved by John Hickey (UCD) in the mile and 3 miles, Anthony Shillington in the 440y flat and 440y hurdles, Sean O'Dwyer in the Long Jump and Triple Jump, and Denis Twomey in Pole Vault and Javelin. Going into the final event, the 4 x 110y relay, the tension mounted - UCD had 84 pts and TCD 81 pts, the same situation as in 1962 but with the scores reversed. If Trinity won the relay, the match would be drawn. UCD's confidence was boosted by their victory over TCD in the Intervarsity relay. The 2nd baton change decided the match - first class for UCD, clumsy for TCD. The large number of spectators enjoyed an evening of athletic enjoyment in fine weather conditions.
23rd May 1962Colours T&FTCDView1636DUHAC President George Dawson donated a trophy for annual competition in the Colours Match, a trademark impressionistic sculpture of an athlete by Edward Delaney [1930-2009]. Delaney is best known for his public sculptures - the statue of Wolf Tone and the Famine Memorial at the North-Eastern corner of St. Stephen's Green in Dublin, "Adam & Eve" in Fitzgerald Park, Cork and the Thomas Davis Memorial in College Green opposite the front gate of Trinity College Dublin. An addition to the inaugural programme was the 440y hurdles. It was to prove to be an excellent ding-dong match to the finale. Early in the evening it looked as if UCD were going to avenge their defeat in the inaugural match due to the brilliant 100y and 220y sprint double by Victor Maniak (Manning), aka Wieslaw Maniak, and the 120y and 440y hurdling double by Eddie Thornton. However, clean sweeps in the 440y and 880y kept Trinity in touch. There was also a double for Trinity's decathlete, Tjerand Lunde, in High Jump and Pole Vault. In the most thrilling events of the evening, John Hickey (UCD) was pipped by inches on the line in both the mile and the 3 miles, being credited with the same times as both winners. With 10 events completed the scores were level on 55 pts. After that the initiative swung slightly in TCD's favour. However in the penultimate event Joe Enwezor (UCD) won the Long Jump by holding off the challenge of Lunde. With the 4 x 110y relay remaining, TCD led with 84 pts to UCD's 81 pts. However, UCD's ace sprinter Victor Maniak flew out of the blocks to present a decisive lead at the first change which the rest of the UCD quartet maintained to the finish line, with tremendous cheers of enthusiasm from the UCD supporters. The match was drawn on 86 pts. Each College had won eight of the 16 events. On a toss of a coin Trinity held the trophy for the first six months and UCD for the remainder of the year.
1st Jun 1961Colours T&FTCDView1536The story of the splits in Irish athletics between 1925 and 1938 is a complex one. Suffice it is say that the consequences for inter-collegiate athletics were that Queen's University could not participate from 1934 through 1967 and in the case of TCD from 1938 through 1961. While TCD did participate in the Intervarsities' Championships in 1951, this only led to a further closing of the door by the athletic authorities. However a DUHAC-led initiative through the AAUE led to the IAAF granting permission for a closed inter-university contest between TCD and UCD in May 1961. Frenetic arrangements followed. On Thursday 1 June 1961 the first officially sanctioned Intervarsity Match since 1937 involving Trinity College Dublin, affiliated to the AAUE, and University College Dublin, affiliated to the NACAI, took place in College Park. It was an event that would help to lead to the formation of Bord Lúthchleas na hÉireann in 1967 and a healing of much, but not all, of the conflict between the AAUE and the NACAI. In line with meetings between TCD and UCD in other sports, e.g., rugby, lawn tennis, hockey, sailing, this annual athletics fixture became known colloquially as "The Colours Match". Save for a slight North-Westerly wind, conditions for this inaugural inter-university athletics meeting were ideal. Such was the public enthusiasm for the match that in excess of 5,000 spectators watched the events. The fixture comprised 15 events with two competitors from each College per event, with scoring as 5-3-2-1 for the four placings, except in the 4 x 110y relay with 5 and 2 pts. TCD recorded 8 wins to UCD's seven. Double individual wins were recorded: for UCD, Victor Maniak (Manning) - 100y and 220y and Kevin Prendergast - Shot Putt and Discus, and for TCD, Colin Shillington - 880y and 1 mile and Tjerand Lunde - High Jump and Pole Vault. Trinity won by 87 pts to 73 pts for UCD. However, the contest was closer than the match score suggests as the favourite in the 120y hurdles, Eddie Thornton (UCD), was a DNF through suffering injury and UCD's long jumper Joe Enwezor tore a muscle during the event. Both had been first choices for UCD's relay quartet. Nonetheless, more importantly the match was a victory for commonsense. Without doubt athletics was the winner of the first Colours Match, with great enjoyment for athletes, officials, legislators and spectators.
1st Jul 1939InternationalsTCDView1236The 4th meeting between Irish Universities, represented by Trinity and Queen's, and the Atalanta selection took place in College Park, Trinity College. Despite interruptions by rain, the meeting was completed to schedule. The outstanding performance was that of Roderic Coote (TCD) who equalled the Irish native record for 120 yards hurdles of 15.4 sec held by Theo D. Phelan of UCD. Some controversy arose when R.G. Eccles (Edinburgh University) was called 'no jump' at 5ft 8 in the high jump competition on the grounds that his head was below his shoulder and thus he was guilty of diving. While perturbed and angry that his style was questioned, he continued in the event to win at 5ft 10 3/4 in [1.80 m]. The most discussed finish occurred in the mile when David O'Neill of Trinity was given the decision on the tape from John Muir of Glasgow University. At the final bend O'Neill had little hope of catching Muir who slowed down to a virtual walk to be caught at the finishing line, O'Neill getting the judges' nod which did not receive unanimous approval. Len Horan (TCD) putt the shot 46 ft 10 in [14.28 m] for a College Park record and took a double win in the discus with 123 ft [37.49 m]. George Craigie (TCD) won the 'hundred' and 220 yards for a sprint double. J.A.M. Robertson (Atalanta) took a double in the quarter-mile and half-mile for the third double of the meeting. Tom Maguire of Trinity College was the starter.
22nd May 1937T&FTCDView1421The last Intervarsities that TCD participated in until 1962 in Galway, because the split in Irish Athletics.
25th May 1935T&FTCDView1021UCC did not compete in these championships due to disagreement on participation and representation. UCG did not compete either. Largest attendance at athletics in College Park for many years. U.C.D.'s reign of 11 years as Intervarsity Champions ended.
10th Jul 1933IUAA RepresentativeTCDView1134Irish Universities v. 'Rest of Ireland' N.A.C.A.I. Select. This evening match had been promoted by D.U.H.A.C. between the Atalanta Club, representing Scottish Universities, and Irish Universities [with the exception of QUB, because of the N.A.C.A.I.-mandated ban due to its affiliation to the Northern Ireland branch of the A.A.A.]. On Saturday 8th July a telegram was received by the Hon. Secretary of D.U.H.A.C., J.C. Cole, from the Atalanta Club stating that their visit to Dublin had been cancelled. No specific reason was given. However, it was surmised that the Scottish team had been ordered to cancel their visit on instructions issued by or on behalf of the International Board, composed of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland, as a consequence of the dispute between the N.A.C.A.I. and the Northern Ireland Association, and possibly also in retaliation for the ban on intervarsity competition imposed on Queen's University of Belfast by the N.A.C.A.I. The Central Council of the N.A.C.A.I. met and selected a strong team, "The Rest of Ireland", to take the place of the Atalanta Club, confining the selection, for convenience sake at such short notice, to locally based athletes. Two members of each team were to compete in each event. The final event, the medley relay, decided the outcome of the meeting.
30th May 1931T&FTCDView1639 
4th Jun 1927T&FTCDView1638The Irish Inter-University Championships were scheduled for Belfast in 1927. However, in April 1927 they were switched from Belfast to Dublin to be hosted by Trinity in College Park for reasons which are not clarified in reports of the change of venue. Nonetheless, Queen's hosted their annual Londonderry Trophy Relay Match at Cherryvale, Belfast on 30 May 1927, with competing teams from Trinity College, Queen's University, Ulsterville Harriers, North Belfast Harriers, Dublin Metropolitan Garda, and Civic Guards. To these Inter-University Championships, UCC and QUB sent what were described as 'only skeleton teams'. Some of the events only had the permitted two entries from TCD and UCD. The contest in College Park was witnessed by a large crowd 'of which ladies formed a by no means inconsiderable portion'. There were several sharp showers during the afternoon, but they did not interfere with the sport.
31st May 1924T&FTCDView1646The championships took place on a lovely afternoon with a large attendance. The ground conditions were very good. The field arrangements were well-nigh perfect and reflected great credit on Dublin University Athletic Club. The Irish Times stated that, while there were record performances, 'on the whole the form (of athletes) could not have impressed those representatives of the Irish Olympic Council who were present'. The lack of extraordinary performance was compensated for by the keenness with which the events were contested. Ed Goggins (UCC) achieved his fourth victory in the high jump in five years (he did not compete in 1923). Harry Conway's hat-trick for UCD in the 100 yards, 120 yards hurdles and long jump was the most meritorious performance. The band of the Dublin Metropolitan Police, under the baton of Hon. Inspector A.J. Norris, added to the afternoon's entertainment. This was the first year in which 'J.P. O'Sullivan' Challenge Cup was competed for. It was presented by the relatives of the late James Patrick 'J.P.' O'Sullivan of Killorgan, Co. Kerry, the 1891 Irish All-Round champion [9 events: high jump, slinging 56 lb weight, 100 yards, long jump, shot putt 16 lb, 120 yards hurdles, hammer throw, 440 yards and 1 mile, all on the same day; points were awarded as 1st - 5 pts, 2nd - 3 pts, and 3rd - 1 pts in each event. O'Sullivan, with 31 pts, placed 1st in 4 events, 2nd in 3 events and 3rd in 2 events, while T.M. Donovan of Cork, who placed 2nd overall on 30 pts, had the same number of 1st and 2nd placings, but only 1 placing as 3rd, failing to score in the Shot Putt]. Major-General William R.E. Murphy distributed the medals and presented the 'J.P. O'Sullivan Cup' to U.C.D. Murphy was the first Irish and the last Chief Commissioner of Dublin Metropolitan Police before its merger with the Garda Siochána in 1925, of which he became the Deputy Commissioner, a post he held until his retirement in 1955. The teams were entertained to a dinner and dance given by the Trinity Club.
5th Jun 1920T&FTCDView1641The first intervarsity athletic meeting held after the Great War 1914-1918. This took place on the concluding day of Trinity Week 1920. There was a large and fashionable attendance. The weather conditions were described as 'splendid'. The contest was an unusually close one, the winning College being in doubt up to the conclusion of the last race, the 440 yards, prior to which University College Dublin was leading Trinity College by just two points. The fact that the fixture followed so closely on the College Races militated against the Trinity athletes, many of whom failed to reproduce their best form. Only three athletes from UCC competed. The medals were presented by Lady Powerscourt. The University College Dublin trainer was Mr M.F. O'Hanlon.